Friday, January 1, 2016

Sample Weekly Study Schedule



According to the Online Readiness Assessment's results, time management is a skill upon which I should improve.  I know that it will be essential with a full-time academic course load; however, this quarter, I have decided not to gain employment while I focus on undertaking this orientation class, a pre-requisite Math, as well as an advanced Java class, the latter two offered at Foothill College, so the challenge could be far greater.  (During my last quarter of school, my only study time was after a long day's work, at night and over the weekend, which is exhausting and demanding.)  Still, I must manage my approximately ten to twenty, dedicated weekly hours of work time smartly, effectively and efficiently, in order to be successful in this course.

I already calendar my schedule and keep an organized record of appointments, to which I try to pretty strictly adhere, and since the coursework encourages it, I’ll go fully digital.  My top priorities in time management will be to step up my game and set personal deadlines, that is, to complete my studies, readings, note-taking and assignments in the hourly timeframes recommended, rather than spend too much or more time than should really be necessary, usually just over-analyzing a finished project. (Unless I am stuck, in which case I must keep trying and/or seek answers to any questions I may have.)  Secondly, another goal is to avoid wasting precious hours, especially prime early morning, high brain-power hours, to performing administrative tasks such as organizing or checking e-mail, for example.  Therefore, I am already thinking about rearranging the proposed schedule posted above, as I learn the best strategy for tackling my work and doing well.  Planning the morning's priorities and workload the night before or doing easier check-ups during an afternoon slump, might be ideal.

I feel a natural sense of urgency and excitement regarding the coursework, which I seem to be pursuing with alacrity, so, hopefully burnout, boredom or procrastination won't be issues for me.  These obstacles were some mentioned, along with some strategies, in "The Five Steps to Online Learning," which are as follows and worth remembering throughout:
  1. When starting a new class, one should read the syllabus multiple times so that it's well known. Printing it out and highlighting important assignments is recommended, as is scheduling due dates and study time into one's calendar.  One will perform best, stay engaged and have ample time to receive feedback when one has a clear, early understanding of requirements.
  2. Plan and schedule study time.  Managing one's time well, taking responsibility for it and avoiding procrastination are critical.
  3. Log onto the course a minimum of three times per week to stay current with all that is happening in the class, such as forum posts, announcements and alterations to assignments.  This includes actively participating on iLearn.
  4. Ask questions of the professors and TAs.
  5. Make connections with fellow students.

References

Morrison, D. (2012, September 28). Five-step strategy for student success with online learning.
     Retrieved January 8, 2016.



No comments:

Post a Comment