Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Gantt and Algorithms

Even if I won't be using Gantt Charts with agile development, since they fit instead under the waterfall methodology, and, furthermore, although I am not pursuing a job as a project manager, it's still interesting to have sat down this week and set up the tasks, resources and dependencies that make up such a project timeline.  They're a smart tool for planning that may be applied to many different types of projects.

In our other class, the algorithms class, we completed and submitted our last homework assignment today.  I'm feeling pretty confident in my ability to design algorithms and apply or translate algorithmic pseudocode to C++ programming, or any language I've learned, for that matter, which is pretty great.  In specific, writing the backtracking code to the (dynamic programming) coin row problem was particularly satisfying because, although involving a few "Hail Marys" in my running it, was challenging for me and something I built without pseudocode.  It might be easy to whomever might be reading this blog, but for me, it was not that east.  Resolving it was definitely an "it's working" moment.  (All this is not to say that translating pseudocode is not without challenges; it also requires some careful interpretation, too, at that.)  I came close to giving up, twice, but thought, hey, I might be on to something.  Keep coding.  Just see where this leads.  --In the past, I'm unsure I would have felt such confidence to persevere through what I felt was a difficult (challenging enough to me) programming problem like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment